What is Wet Underfloor Heating?
RB Liquid Screed is delighted to be getting more and more calls requesting information about underfloor heating installation. Our customers tell us that they’re interested in this kind of heating because they’re looking for energy efficiency and they want even heat distribution throught their home. The Energy Saving Trust has noted “Underfloor heating can be more efficient than radiators because the water doesn’t need to be so hot.”
‘Wet’ Underfloor Heating Explained
Underfloor heating can be generated using a ‘dry’ system of electric underfloor mats, or a ‘wet’ system comprising a snaking system of water pipes laid under the floor and then enclosed in a layer of liquid screed. The pipes are connected to a manifold, and then to the heating system. The temperature is regulated by a thermostat.
Why Use Liquid Screed to Enclose the Water Pipes?
Liquid screed is an advanced technology which provides:
- A second-to-none flooring finish.
- Excellent thermal conductivity.
The flow screed is pumped on site by a small team of specialists. Its self-levelling consistency envelopes the pipes evenly, ensuring that there are no air voids. The innate thermal conductivity of the screed mixture aids the even transfer of heat across the floor, and the absence of air voids enhances the rapidity of its spread to all corners of the room.
Wet Heating Produces Radiant Heat
Wall-mounted radiators heat rooms using convection; hot air rises and, in doing so, attracts cooler air in a circular motion. This mode of heating is known to pull dust into the atmosphere, and reduce moisture. Underfloor heating produces radiant heat which heats objects rather than air. It provides a more evenly distributed heat whilst maintaining the natural quality of oxygen-rich air.
The Advantages of Wet Underfloor Heating
If you’re thinking of switching from central heating to underfloor heating, there are a number of advantages to the system that might tip your thinking from ‘maybe’ to ‘must have’:
- Remove the Radiators – whilst it’s not the first thing people tend to think about, the removal of radiators – especially if you have an open plan room – tends to create a more spacious asthetic, and you no longer have the problem of fitting furniture around radiators.
- Breathe Easier – the radiant heat created by underfloor heating retains the moisture in the air and resists the introduction of dust into the environment. This can alleviate the symptoms of asthma and eczema on a daily basis.
- Lower Temperatures – the even distribution of heat means that the system can use water heated to a lower temperature. This energy efficiency lowers bills and makes underfloor heating one of the most cost effective ways to heat your home.
- Choice of Flooring – wet underfloor heating works well with pretty much any type of flooring, such as tiles, carpeting, wood or stone. Liquid screed is guaranteed to provide a perfect foundation whichever type of flooring you use.
RB Liquid Screed for Your Underfloor Heating
RB Liquid Screed prides itself on using only top quality screed products from selected UK suppliers. All our underfloor heating installations are carried out by small regional teams of specialists who are both highly skilled and have extensive experience in the field.